FWD: Ethical Situation Resolved

Subject: FWD: Ethical Situation Resolved
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 09:19:22 -0600

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

Thanks everyone for your responses to my little ethical dilemma this
week -- it's VERY good to get your *feelings* validated once in a while!

I got about 20 responses, almost ALL of which said that I *did the right
thing* (BTW, I did NOT have to take my complaint upstairs).

Here's what happened:
I went back in to mgr's office the next morning...approached him (as
some of you suggested) with a "we have a (mutual) problem that needs to
be resolved...the writer involved feels really badly about your (HIS)
behavior...what can we do to UNdo the damage to our valuable team
member?"

Well, altho he wasn't totally contrite, it seemed to work; he agreed to
call the writer back in, offer an apology (he did), then called me to
join them (I did) and extended the apology to me (I graciously
accepted).

So, although it was certainly "staged," didn't seem too contrived...my
co-worker seemed to take it fairly well (whether she goes through with
her threat to leave the company...?). The result was that I felt better,
I hope the other team member did, too; and the boss managed to save face
(altho I admit I lost a great deal of confidence in him).

A couple of clarifications:

* the writer is not my "subordinate" (inasmuch as I'm simply the
editor and her senior in our group; i.e. I don't writer her perform
review).
* the Director did NOT know about the incident (and still does not)
* and no, wouldn't have made a bit of diff (to ME) if she were a "he"
* finally, yes, we got to keep the bonus checks!

Thanks again all for your input! (Looks like I can keep my resume in the
bag for now).

Warm & Fuzzy in Memphis

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=