Re: ethical problem/job hunting

Subject: Re: ethical problem/job hunting
From: John David Hickey <jdavid -at- FARABI -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 10:18:27 -0400

Greetings!

> Hope this question isn't too naive--but is jobhunting on the sly pretty
> much the rule Out There?

I wouldn't think so, but some employers like to hold on stubbornly to past
values, I guess. In my father's time, people got one job and would stick to
it until they retired. In that situation, the employer could get tough and
threaten your job if you were even thinking of straying.

But now the turn-around time in most companies seems to be under 10 years.
There are very few cradle-to-grave jobs anymore, so why shouldn't you keep
your finger on the pulse of the job market? With all the layoffs and
downsizing going on in today's industry, it's in your best interest to know
what your options are.

An employer who would fire you because you were *thinking* of changing jobs
would probably downsize your position without a second thought anyways.
That's how secure our jobs are... Scary, huh?

Of course, I'm a contractor so I'm always on the lookout for new clients.
But I should think that full-time people should be aware of what's out there
at all times. It's your 8-10 hours a day... Shouldn't you be doing what you
can to make them happy/profitable hours?
--
Be seeing you,

Dave
---
John David Hickey (jdavid -at- farabi -dot- com)
http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/7829/

Lone Writer at Farabi Technology Corp. (Montreal, Quebec)

They say the pen is mighter than the sword.
But if you miss a deadline, you'd better bring the sword.
--
Do not confuse my opinons with my employer's.
Each exists in blissful ignorance of the other.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=