Re: Eliminating .txt file hard returns

Subject: Re: Eliminating .txt file hard returns
From: Matt Craver <MCraver -at- OPENSOLUTIONS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 15:49:51 -0400

Gary Robinson [Robinson -at- COMINC -dot- COM] wrote:
> A colleague of mine downloaded an important reference document from
the
> Internet. This document arrived as a .txt file containing hundreds
(at
> least) superfluous hard returns. Currently the document is 555
pages
> long. We figure it is actually about a third of that length without
the
> extra returns. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to
automatically
> remove these returns? To remove them manually could take years and
cost
> thousands of lives.

It's not a perfect solution, but what I've done previously is:
1. import the .txt file into Word
2. Do a search on the hard return character ^p and replace it with
nothing
3. Use Save As to return it to text file format.

With a little thought, I'm sure a macro could do the work, I just haven't
spent the time.
-Matthew Craver,
Technical Documentation
Open Solutions Inc.