Re: Learning from others

Subject: Re: Learning from others
From: Doug Nickerson <Doug_Nickerson -at- ONSETCOMP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 11:44:30 -0400

Eileen,

I don't think you need therapy (for this difficulty anyway :-) ).

I get a kick looking at other documentation. Esp. since
writing a computer book last year, I find myself reading books and
software manuals & appreciating how the author
negotiates things that I myself find difficult.
Style and structure.

One area piques my interst: how an
author handles what Joseph M. Williams [1] calls "metadiscourse" (writing
about the writing).

For example, "In this section, I talk about this, then I discuss that."

Regards,

Doug Nickerson
doug_nickerson -at- onsetcomp -dot- com
Bourne, Mass., U.S.A.