Re: An ugly job incident

Subject: Re: An ugly job incident
From: Jeff Elkins <jeff -dot- elkins -at- CARDHEALTH -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 05:38:42 -0500

Anon:

I won't waste more than a few words to echo previous sentiments. The
general gist of most of the respondants comments mirrors what I also would
have said. It's done and can't be undone. I WOULD obtain legal counsel to
defend myself against accusations of stealing -- that's harsh. And I would
look into talking to a therapist. Some good advice.

I have seen this happen, and my heart goes out to you. And, again, I think
most have already said it: Buck up, we're with you, and please keep us
posted.

The However SLANT: I have learned -- from this here very list -- to reread
posts that make me emotional. A couple of thoughts: More than just looking
at it from their (your employer's) perspective, can we be Devil's advocate
and look again from yours? -- From your letter:

<snip>
The next day after the rumors began flying, I went through my file cabinet
and threw away old hand-written notes, which were on the file server in
electronic form. I also deleted all of my personal files from the file
server. If I was to be laid off, then I didn't want somebody standing there
while I sorted through personal things.
</snip>

Then you said...

<snip>
Do you think I was wrong to throw away notes and old edited documents?
</snip>

Which is, I think, not exactly the same thing. Were they personal files or
old edited documents? If a new doc is generated from the edited version,
are the edits important? (I save them just to CmyA) You say that you
deleted files from the server -- what about files on your computer? None
at all?

Something is missing. I am a little uncomfortable with your need to
justify your actions with the phrases "... which were on the file server [I
felt an implied 'anyway' here]...", and "... [because] I didn't want
somebody standing there...", and then asking if WE think you were wrong.
If the company WANTS to stand there while you clean out your desk and
files, I bet even you would agree that they have the legal right.
Potentially embarrasing for you, yes, but not too dangerous. I mean, if
they saw that you had your resume out there, or a memo about what a jerk
the boss-lady was, what are they going to do... Fire you? I know that I
sound callous, but please, just Devil's advocate here.

After a pause,viewing the remains of the day, I think it's important to ask
yourself whether YOU TRULY think you did anything wrong or not.

Once again, however, I will jump in and defend an honest (even if they are
a little brash ;-) TW against Demon SME's and Demon Managers and Demon
Companies any day. I am sorry that this happened to you.

Jeff Elkins
Information Analyst/Developer
CORD Logistics, Inc.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=