Re: Need Help Fast!!!

Subject: Re: Need Help Fast!!!
From: Jane Bergen <janeber -at- CYBERRAMP -dot- NET>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 22:25:25 -0500

The rule is generally that you number sequential steps, use bullets
for non-sequential lists.

> 2. How many different types of enumerative devices
> (excluding numbers) would you put into a training manual? Why?

ONLY as many as you REALLY need.

> 3. Which of the following would you rather use and why?
> Click the XYZ button.
> Click on the XYZ button.

"On" is redundant and unnecessary. Just say "click the ..." if it's a
mouse action, but if it's keyboard action, I say "Press."

> 4. Other than quoting titles, do you use italics, and if
> so, for what?

It may be acceptable for introducing a new term (use it for the first
instance of the word only; after that, use regular font).

> 5. Currently, we use the following convention. To indicate
> what option, button, etc. someone is to select we bold the option
> button, etc. For
> example, (using the asterisks as bold) Click the *ABC* button and
> highlight the appropriate line.

I missed a question here. Bolding is fine.

> 6. Would you enclose any of the following elements in a box
> in the text or instructions: Names of buttons, windows, or
> dialog boxes?

A box within the text? Never. Sounds tacky to me.

> 7. Do you use underlining and if so, when.

Only for indicating hyperlinks, etc. on web pages.

> My heartfelt thanks to those of you who are able to respond quickly,
> slowly, or who even think about it.
>
> David Dubin

David,

Sounds as though you might benefit from a good style guide, or perhaps
as though you need to develop one yourself for your company. A lot of
conventions are simply personal choice. I've seen some pretty strange
conventions used fairly successfully as long as they're used
consistently.

Jane
Jane Bergen, Technical Writer
Dallas, Texas