Doc Management

Subject: Doc Management
From: Debbie Robbins <Debbie_Robbins -at- SIECOR -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 09:52:52 -0400

Fellow Tech Writers

And it's good to be back on the list after a 2 month leave - I have
missed this list a lot! I tried the archives and did not come up with any
information regarding Word or add-ons.

Question:
Doesn't Word have a pretty good way of storing revisions and keeping track
of revision number and dates? What do you have to do to utilize Word for
document revision control, i.e. User Info and Document Properties?

Is it feasible to do revisions in the same original document and keep just
one document with the revisions as annotations and hidden for printing or
viewing or is it better to keep a seperate document for each revision and
number and date the revisions (Insert-Field-Revnum)??
What do you recommend?

We are using a product called Gateway for project management and it
requires good document revision control and we would like to use Word
rather than another add-on. Does anyone utilize Word's features for
document revision control or what do you use (Revision Master, Intra.doc,
SourceSafe, others) and what do you like about the product, what formats
does it handle/not handle, the cost, and is there a web site? I suppose we
will do an add-on, because Word will not be the only format that will be
used
in the project managment system.

Thank you for your input! I will do a summary.

Debbie Robbins (formerly Stewart)
Siecor Operations, LLC
Hickory NC
828-327-5143
debbie -dot- robbins -at- siecor -dot- com

Standard disclaimers go here. . . . . .

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=