Re: Word Indexing Problem

Subject: Re: Word Indexing Problem
From: "Thompson, Sarah" <SThompso -at- RESDATA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 10:30:30 -0600

Catheryn,

Yes, I have! In fact, it's probably easier than you think. I've been
working with several docs, each of which I divide by chapter in separate
files (makes 'em smaller & easier to work with, as you probably know :).
What I've done takes a couple of preparatory steps:

1. Start with the chapter headings (or some equivalent where you're
numbering your sections). Your chapter number should have a {seq} field
(not just a number), which creates a basis for pages numbered with
chapter and page numbers. Mine looks like this:

{ SEQ Chapter \* Arabic\r1 \*MERGEFORMAT }

Since I don't know how much reading of fields you do, I'll explain -
skip this bit if you already know it: that field specifies a sequence,
named "Chapter," that is set as arabic numerals, starting with 1. I use
this same field for all the chapter numbers in my docs, going into *the
field* to change the number, then updating the field. What shows when
the field is turned off is just the number, but all the other stuff runs
off of this.

2. In my footer, rather than just add a {page} field, I've added a {seq}
field, followed by a divider of some kind (I use a colon, but I've also
seen hyphens, en dashes, etc.), then the {page} field, so that in each
chapter my page reference comes out looking like this: 3:1, 5-7, etc.

The {seq} field references the chapter number (from step 1) and
therefore repeats the same 1st number on each page. It looks like this:

{ SEQ Chapter \c \*MERGEFORMAT }

3. Then, my index field (in a separate document) then looks like this:

{index \c 2 \s Chapter \d ":" \h "- A -" \*mergeformat}

Basically meaning a two-column index, which references the sequence
"chapter" (back to that chapter number thing again), with a separator
defined as ":", and headings looking like this: - A -.

HTH!
Sarah T

Sarah Thompson
Resource Data International