Re: What do interviewers read?

Subject: Re: What do interviewers read?
From: Beth Agnew <bagnew -at- INSYSTEMS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 1998 14:06:52 -0400

John David Hickey wrote in part:

>So my question is: how important is a description of my work for each
client
>on my resumé? Is it better to keep a resumé as brief as possible (bullet
>form) and explain it in the interview, or is it better to put a brief
>description of what I did for each client? What is it that an interviewer
>would rather see?

I want to see a clear indication of a person's ability. Saying "Researched,
wrote and published 4 300+ page user manuals for client/server knowledge
management applications" is of more use to me than a list of places you've
worked or phrases such as "good team player, able to work independently,
takes initiative to complete projects on time". Even though all those other
things are important.

A one-page resume that doesn't flip enough of my zeros to ones isn't going
to get you an interview. If you need three pages to show me a substantial
background, or a transition from another career to technical writer, then I
can live with that. The first page, however, should get my attention.

The quality of writing and layout on the resume is VERY important. Think of
it as the first piece of technical writing you'll produce for me. If you
cannot convey plenty of information in a limited space, and make it look
readable, why would I want you working on my manuals?

--Beth

Beth Agnew
Senior Technical Writer, InSystems Technologies Inc.
65 Allstate Parkway, Suite 100 Tel: (905) 513-1400 ext. 280
Markham, Ontario, Canada L3R 9X1 Fax: (905) 513-1419
mailto:bagnew -at- insystems -dot- com Visit us at: http://www.insystems.com

See my friendly face at:
http://www.bayside.net/users/cbsites/techwr-l/a.htm#agnewb

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000