Re: HTML to .pdf/Word

Subject: Re: HTML to .pdf/Word
From: Greg Anderson <Greg -dot- Anderson -at- CENTRAL -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 20:50:31 -0600

Hello Barbara,

Here is one approach which we have found works in the situation you
outlined below but has not been scripted to handle this task automatically.
(e.g. a manual process).

1. From Netscape Browser, Print each page to disk:

File -> SaveAs -> Format For Saved Document [PostScript]

Name the file.

2. Using Adobe's "distill", convert all PostScript files to .pdf:

distill *.ps

I am unable to offer a solution for going from HTML -> Word.

Best Regards,

Greg 'Andy' Anderson
Sun Microsystems
Document Conversion Services
Broomfield, CO

Barbara Karst-Sabin <barbara -at- quote -dot- com> posted this query:

|^|I have a mass of documentation, most of which is in the form of web
|^|pages. I need to get it all into Word files. Does anyone know of a way
|^|to go back from HTML to Word or even to a .pdf file???
|^|
|^|I need to maintain the heirarchical arrangement of information or I'd
|^|just block copy. However, there are probably 2000 pages, and that
|^|amount of reformatting at a contractor's salary would be prohibitively
|^|expensive.
|^|
|^|Hope someone can help. (Also hope I'm not just so frazzled that I'm
|^|overlooking the obvious ;+).

|| Greg 'Andy' Anderson | Sun Microsystems Broomfield, CO ||
|| Desktop Productivity Tools | Document Conversion Service ||
|| MS:UMBRM14-430 | email: greg -dot- anderson -at- Central -dot- Sun -dot- COM ||

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=