Re: US Professional issues

Subject: Re: US Professional issues
From: joanne grey <j_grey -at- WRITEANGLES -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 17:17:56 -0700

Amy G. Peacock wrote:

> I wonder if once you have done the telecommute thing it would be
> easier to get a telecommuting job? (Kind of a twist on the Catch
> 22...) Do you become more trustworthy after proving that you can do
> the job without someone standing over you all the time?

I've found that sometimes having telecommuted before works in my favor,
sometimes it doesn't. Ultimately, it depends on the company, the past
experiences of the managers, and the personalities involved.
(Admittedly, I do a lot of work for smaller companies who aren't locked
in to official rules.)

Some of my clients have resisted telecommuting entirely, and have
pointedly remarked that they "don't care what others do, it just doesn't
feel right", others have asked me how I handled telecommuting before and
taken from the answer whatever they were looking to find. (This
includes horror stories and happy endings, depending.) Still others
have been happy to let me telecommute, because they were in another
country or didn't have the room to set up an office for me.

I have only one client that I've never at least met face-to-face,
though.

Joanne Grey j_grey -at- writeangles -dot- com
Write Angles www.writeangles.com

It makes no difference whether you win or lose until you lose.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=