Documenting Classes

Subject: Documenting Classes
From: Robert Maxey <Bob_Maxey -at- MTN -dot- 3COM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:01:01 -0600

>>I have to document the classes and methods for a software developers kit
(sdk) reference manual and a programmers guide. Does anyone have advice on
determining which classes and methods to document? The classes/methods that
are available to the developer (versus those that are internal) are listed
in the functional spec. However, the list is very long. Should I be
documenting all of the classes/methods available to the developer or is
there some rule of thumb I should be using to discriminate between those
that they need and those that they do not need to know about?

Absolutely everything. Since this is an SDK, it is vital that everything be
documented. As a developer, I hate to see things mentioned somewhere but
not documented. It is like buying a car and having no references in the
owner's manual to a row of buttons on the dash. Your SDK needs an owner's
manual, too.

Your readers are developers and need as much info as possible. As far as
internal classes and methods are concerned, document them as well.

BTW: I think I sold a book.

Bob Maxey
3Com Technical

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=