The Origin of "Key"?

Subject: The Origin of "Key"?
From: "Folena, Shannon" <SFolena -at- CKSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 10:19:07 -0700

This question may at first appear to be more appropriate for a Sienfield
audience, but I think the answer could be useful for technical
communicators.

What is the origin of "keys"?

We press keys and use keyboards and keypads, but where did the term
"key" come from? Wouldn't "button" more accurately describe the
function? Don't we insert keys into slots?

Have a good day,
Shannon

Shannon Folena
Technical Publication Designer