Editing Information

Subject: Editing Information
From: Deborah Cooper <dcooper -at- INSTEPMOBILE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 06:08:28 -0700

Hi,

I've received lots of replies to my query about how to edit
your own work and would anyone know of any editing sources
on the Internet. Here's what people have been giving me, so
far:

This is probably not exactly what you're looking for, but a fellow named
Peter Ring has a site for technical writers offering tips on various
aspects of the work. He does have a section on proofreading and
editing.:
http://www.prc.dk/user-friendly-manuals/

On my Web site (WordSmith Workshop), I have various tips for writers,
which
you may find helpful:
http://www.superconnect.com/wordsmit

Get a great little book called "Edit Yourself" by Bruce Ross-Larson.
It has terrific tips on what phrases can be completely cut or replaced
with just one or two words.

ISBN: 0-393-30268-7
$7.95 I think. Dunno if there is a later edition out than the 1985
Norton pb or not.

I've looked at a couple dozen online editing sites and, in my
opinion, one of the best is:

http://www.english.upenn.edu/~jlynch/Grammar/

That site is also mentioned by other grammar sites.

One of my very favorite sites is Bill Walsh's. He is an editor
at the Washington Post:

http://www.theslot.com/

During my career I have edited for different industries and, again
in my opinion, grammar is grammar is grammar. I have not seen
a different grammar used here than elsewhere. So I think it is
very wise what you are doing.

A wonderful book is:

Edit Yourself, a Manual for Everyone Who
Works with Words, by Bruce Ross-Larson,
W. W. Norton, 1982

The book lists hundreds of words and expressions and shows how
to edit them.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=