Domain knowledge and continuous learning

Subject: Domain knowledge and continuous learning
From: "Geoff Hart (by way of \"Eric J. Ray\" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>)" <ght -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 06:41:36 -0600

Katherin Stanzler asked about "domain knowledge": Yes, it's basically
some kind of background in the product or industry you're writing
about.

<<How do we acquire such knowledge?>>

Dozens of ways. I got my forestry background with a B.Sc., and
enhance it every day by asking my SMEs to explain anything I don't
fully understand. (It's easy if, like me, you have this obsessive
desire to be a "Geoff of all trades" and really _are_ interested in
learning more.) I got my computer background by taking a few courses
in programming and by reading PC Magazine, Byte, and MacUser cover to
cover until I understood; now I just skim. I got my translation
background by _doing_ translations, though obviously I started out
with a language background. I got my technical communication
background by reading journals in the field and by paying careful
attention to the problems I was having with the manuals I was given
for my own software.

<<Can a technical writer always acquire such knowledge (through
asking a million questions) or does a writer have to have an aptitude
for and interest in the domain?>>

It's hard to muster the enthusiasm and stubbornness (persistence if
you prefer) to get good at something you really dislike or have no
inherent talent for. But you can probably still become competent at
it if you really try. But just to play devil's advocate, I'd like to
point out that sometimes becoming an expert is the wrong solution:
as soon as you become expert in an area, you tend to start making the
same assumptions your SMEs make, and these are generally assumptions
that aren't shared by your audience. Maintaining a certain level of
naivete towards your subject matter (what I call "professional idiot"
status) makes you a much, much stronger user advocate.

<<<...the "domain knowledge" required of me when I was hired was...
much less than that which is required of me now, and VERY much less
than what will be required of me in the near future. I'm concerned
that I may be in over my head...>>

As you begin to get good at something, people automatically start
expecting more of you. That's a good thing, because it's far too easy
to grow complacent and either get stale and bored, or find yourself
in over your head because you stopped growing. The trick is to keep
learning throughout your whole career, but to recognize that there's
simply too much for any one person to learn. Prioritize, and figure
out where you can substitute questions for knowledge; that is, know
enough to cover the basics, but also enough to know when you're out
of your depth and ask for help. Learn your own limits, and don't let
yourself be _pushed_ beyond them. Always try to expand your limits,
but don't encourage disasters by jumping beyond them before you're
ready. If you need time to grow, discuss this with your managers and
prepare a growth path.
--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

"Microsoft Word: It grows on you... but with a little fungicide,
you'll be feeling much better real soon now!"--GH

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=