Re: Oracle context sensitive help

Subject: Re: Oracle context sensitive help
From: Elna Tymes <etymes -at- LTS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 19:56:20 -0700

Sella --

> What exactly is possible for Help in an Oracle app? What's This help would
> be nice, but there are virtually no dialog boxes in the app! All activity
> is done in a series of screens (also called forms?). BTW, is this normal?

You can use RoboHelp with an Oracle application if it's running in a Windows
environment. That will at least provide you with an authoring environment. To
do What's This help, you need to use another Windows-based too, but again it
will run with an Oracle application. If you're in a Sun environment and you're
running Java, you can use Sun's J-Help, or if you're running Java on an Oracle
application, you can run Oracle Help for Java (code-named Komodo).

As for activity taking place in screens without using dialog boxes, that's one
way of doing things, and yes, it's normal. Even common. Depends on what you're
doing and who's the audience.

I'm doing a project right now for an Oracle application where we've used
Robohelp as the authoring tool, and ported the whole thing over to Oracle Help
for Java. The developers decided to do the What's This help themselves, but
aside for some links that got moved around the translation from Robohelp to OHJ
was painless. (And I'm highly suspicious that the developers moved the links,
not OHJ.)

> Once I know what types of topics to write, I need to know how to link them
> up to the app, or more accurately what to tell the developer about linking.

These are standard linkages, described in the OHJ manual. I gave our project
developer the compiled OHJ file and he spent all of half an hour linking it to
the application.

Elna Tymes
Los Trancos Systems

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=