NAFTA question

Subject: NAFTA question
From: Paul Kostiuk <pkostiuk -at- SPICER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 11:50:23 -0400

Crossing the US/Canada border to work

Under NAFTA, Americans, Canadians, and Mexicans with appropriate
qualifications can freely accept short term work in any of the three
countries. You simply go to a border crossing with (1) a letter from an
employer describing the job and its duration and (2) proof of your
qualifications. If the job that you will do is on the NAFTA list, you
are issued a class TN (Trade-NAFTA) visa on the spot.

Three job titles on the NAFTA list apply to technical communicators:

- Technical Publications Writer
- Management Consultant
- Graphic Designer (although this applies mostly to people doing
magazine or advertising layout)

Recently, I have heard various stories about people having either good
or bad experiences with TN visas. I'm in the process of compiling this
information into an article that can be widely distributed. (I hope to
get it published in one of the main STC magazines.)

To do this, I need to hear from more people who have either attempted to
cross the border under the NAFTA provisions or considered doing this but
decided against it because of (real or perceived) difficulties. All of
the people I have heard from so far are technical writers or
consultants. I am especially interested in hearing from any technical
illustrators who have attempted to cross the border under the Graphic
Designer category.

If you have any relevant information, please send me a note at:

steveh -at- easynet -dot- on -dot- ca

(I'm not on techwr-l, sorry.) Everyone who helps me with the article
can receive a copy as soon as it's available, without having to wait for
it to be published.
---
Steve Hutton

Paul Kostiuk <pkostiuk -at- spicer -dot- com>
Technical Writer, Spicer Corporation
http://www.spicer.com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=