Re: File sizes in different languages

Subject: Re: File sizes in different languages
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 16:32:01 -0400

> From: Toni Williams TPG/SG [mailto:towilliams -at- PROCYONGROUP -dot- COM]
> I may be off base here (another of those overused phrases :-) ), but
> can't you instead, from the Tools menu, select the Accept Revisions
> option to eliminate this problem?

Similar concept, but different: the Accept Revisions option works with the
Lock for Revisions feature, not the Fast Save feature.

The Lock for Revisions feature makes Word save the changes so you can see
what changes were made, by whom, and when. Then the owner of the document
can go through it, accepting and rejecting changes as appropriate. It's a
very neat feature.

The Fast Save feature attempts to save file-writing time. The theory is
this: in a normal save, Word has to write the whole file every time. If your
document is 35MB and you make a tiny change and then save, Word has to write
the whole 35 MB. With Fast Save, Word just tacks the fact that you made a
tiny change onto the end of the 35MB file. In practice, small changes often
cause ripple effects, and Fast Save, in my experience, isn't all that much
faster than the regular save. And the files tend to grow out of control. You
may be saving file write time, but when you read the file, there is all that
much more to read. More importantly, the Fast Save processing is more
complicated than the normal save, and provides more opportunity for file
corruption. Fast Save is considered a dangerous and not-terribly-useful
feature by many.

Both features involve Word keeping track of changes, but in different ways.
I could be wrong, but I doubt that there is much of a relationship between
the two.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=