Re: Request Info on Relocating to Silicon Valley

Subject: Re: Request Info on Relocating to Silicon Valley
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 12:10:37 -0400

> I have reached the pinnacle of my career in my present city, and I am
> seriously considering relocating to the Silicon Valley. I
> know that the housing market is expensive and tight and that traffic is
bad.
> In the archives for this list, there is some good information about
> recruiters and agencies to contact for job opportunities in the Bay Area.

I think perhaps a meditation on what you want out of life is in order. What
does "pinnacle of my career" mean to you in the context of your entire life?

Remember to deduct increased costs from any projected increase in income.
Increased numbers on the paycheck are not necessarily the same as increased
wealth.

This sounds to me like a major change in your life. Don't go into it out of
a vague sense of it being the next logical step in your career or because
the raw numbers look better. Go into it because it will make your life
better. Or don't.

I'm not, by any means, suggesting that relocating to Silicone Valley is a
bad idea - it might be great for you. What I am suggesting is that the rat
race is seductive, and you have to keep your eyes open and remember what's
important to you. Follow your dream, not the ghost of your High School
guidance counselor.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=