Noahpology

Subject: Noahpology
From: Tom Johnson <johnsont -at- FREEWAY -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 1998 11:34:11 -0400

OK it's Friday. Well Leonard, apology accepted. But I'd like to jump in.
The Bible does not record whatever explicit instructions God gave to Noah
other than length, width (beam) and height of the ark. That doesn't make
God a bad technical communicator. With whatever directions he received,
Noah was able to build a boat larger than any that had ever existed up to
that time or for the next several thousand years. The boat, built to
specifications, was suited for the task (without alpha or beta testing). In
short, a successful outcome. It looks like God did his audience analysis
and communicated clearly enough so Noah could complete his task. If only we
were all that successful.

I think of a lot of the problems with God to people communications has to
do with selective listening on our part. It isn't so much the fault of the
communicator. In our everyday work, we need to be good listeners if we want
to pass on anything but junk.

Have a great weekend everyone.

Tom Johnson
Traverse City, MI. Where the air and water are clean, but it gets really
cold in the winter.

business johnsont -at- starcutter -dot- com
personal thomasj -at- freeway -dot- net

On Friday, October 09, 1998 10:06 AM, Porrello, Leonard
[SMTP:leonard -dot- porrello -at- COMPAQ -dot- COM] wrote:
> Hi, All.
>
> I seem to have offended at least one person with my idea that God, as He
is
> recorded in the Bible, is a "terrible technical communicator."

snip

> Please also know that this apology was not solicited by anyone.
>
> Leonard Porrello
> Compaq, Telecom Network Solutions
> Pubs, Omaha
> 402.384.7390