Re: Demonstrating Click and Drag Selection on Paper

Subject: Re: Demonstrating Click and Drag Selection on Paper
From: Emmy Aricioglu <EMMY_ARICIOGLU -at- HP-ROSEVILLE-OM3 -dot- OM -dot- HP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 12:48:15 -0700

Item Subject: Demonstrating Click and Drag Selection on Paper
I worked as the systems admin in the dialysis unit of a major teaching
hospital in Chicago and can tell you a lot about how surgeons think. I
had to teach eight nephrologists how to enter progress notes into the
treatment database.

First, I was astonished to learn that only one of them had computer
experience. None of them could type (stories available on this).
Actually, his "experience" turned out to be that he had a son who was
computer literate. I quickly learned, however, that I had to treat
that nephrologist as if he actually did know how to use a computer.

From my experience, I recommend the following:

1) Always be respectful of the doctors. Do not treat them as
computer neophytes (even when they are).

2) Doctors are extremely time sensitive. They are trained to
do things quickly, with a lot of intense concentration in short
bursts of time.

3) Do not send the doc to another manual or another chapter to
learn to click and drag. Just do what one of the previous
respondents suggested -- write the instructions for clicking and
dragging, her wording was excellent.

4) Surgeons are very quick learners and (generalization) have
excellent visualization skills. Consider that they have to find
organs within the body many times without an initial visual
sighting.

It was very useful to me to research medical publications. They showed
me types of visuals doctors are used to seeing (you may be surprised).

As an aside, the use of computers in medical settings lags at least a
decade behind other "businesses." This also means, however, that there
are marvelous opportunities out there waiting to happen.

Good luck!

Emmy

Author: Non-HP-matucker (matucker -at- MMM -dot- COM) at HP-Roseville,shargw4
Date: 10/6/98 7:09 PM

I've run into a curious difficulty in my latest project.

I'm documenting a very complex software application adjunct to a medical
device for use by surgeons who I'm told "may never have used a computer of
an kind before and certainly are not technologically sophisticated."

OK, so I can't assume that they know what I mean when I say "To select a
Blah-Blah list for your Ho-Hum template click on the Blah-Blah Icon and
drag it to the HoHum part of the information tree.

The list, information tree, etc. are easy enough -- but how do I
demonstrate click and drag on paper? While I will be developing an on-line
tutorial to go along with this app, I also assume that new surgeons coming
on staff will automatically see the tutorial.

I'm sure someone has tangled with this issue before me...did anyone find a
solution?

(This is pretty basic, so off-line answers are fine unless you think it's
of general interest.)

Misti Anslin Tucker
matucker -at- mmm -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=