Document control solutions

Subject: Document control solutions
From: Melissa Lowery <melissa -dot- lowery -at- CAPITALONE -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 11:02:41 -0500

John Gilger replied to Cathriona's request for document control
software suggestions:

"Word does all of this. See "Track Changes" under the "Tools" menu."

I sent a message to Cathriona with a recommendation for Revision
Master from Diehl GraphSoft (which I heard about after posting a
similar message to this list several months ago). What John may not
understand is that Word can't do everything that Cathriona needs to
do. While you can track revisions at a line level in Word, you can't
really track document versions very well, especially if for some
reason you need to roll back to a previous version of a document. Word
also permits multiple copies of a document to exist, so you might end
up with several different versions of one document if several people
have made personal copies to work on and merging content can be hell
in this situation.

Word also doesn't have very strong password protection as many of us
have discovered. There are a myriad of ways to circumvent password
protection in a Word document. Since Cathriona needs something similar
to the capabilities of SourceSafe, except designed for binary files, a
tool other than Word needs to be used.

I had to lobby hard to convince the programmers and analysts I work
with that we couldn't use PVCS to store our documents as easily as
they can to store their source files. I gave my suggestion to
Cathriona. I hope others will as well.

Melissa Lowery
melissa -dot- lowery -at- capitalone -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=