Re: Demonstrating Click and Drag Selection on Paper

Subject: Re: Demonstrating Click and Drag Selection on Paper
From: "Collins, Darren DA" <Collins -dot- Darren -dot- DA -at- BHP -dot- COM -dot- AU>
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 12:27:59 +1000

Misti,

This is a simple way to demonstrate to a live audience. Maybe you can adapt
the analogy to use it in your manual. You could even use photos of someone
carrying out these actions.

Draw an icon box on a desk or a piece of paper, and an information tree
somewhere next to it. Cut out a little piece of paper or cardboard (about
an inch square), and draw your Blah-Blah Icon on it. Put it in the icon
box.

Now, pretend your finger is the mouse pointer. You put your finger above
the icon--that's like hovering the mouse without clicking. When you put
your finger down, that's like clicking and holding. Now, with your finger
down, you can drag to the Ho-Hum part of the information tree. When you
raise your finger (take it off the button), it will stay there (or do
something, or whatever your program does).

When you do this in person, it sticks in people's minds. Hopefully a series
of photos or diagrams might do the same thing.

Darren Collins
Computer Engineer, Blast Furnaces
BHP Port Kembla, Australia

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=