SUMMARY - Lying Applicants

Subject: SUMMARY - Lying Applicants
From: Katherin Stanzler <kstanzler -at- BROOKSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 16:30:31 -0400

This is in response to Andrew Plato's summary of the "lying applicants"
thread. In his list of questions he asked, "What's more important, knowing
the tools or knowing the technology?" We've had this discussion before and
I'm not sure we actually came to a consensus on the answer.

When I was hired for my present position, documenting a software development
kit for the computer telephony industry, I was asked how much I knew about
the technology. I said, very truthfully, "Nothing." I was hired because I
could write and because I demonstrated a mindset to learn complex
technology. I knew I would gain nothing by lying about my expertise, and,
frankly, I was very surprised they hired me after admitting I knew nothing
about what they did. I've had several freelance jobs where I didn't know
anything about the particular field I was writing for, but because I was
able to zero in on the relevant information I was able to produce
well-written documentation.

I guess my point is that I can see both sides. If you have someone who can
write well and has the drive to learn, to ask questions, to go after the
things they don't understand, then how much do they have to know in advance
of the specific technology? On the other hand, many fields require
specialized knowledge, such as financial/banking applications, the medical
field, agriculture, etc. How do you make an assessment as to how
knowledgeable someone needs to be for a particular job?

Kathy Stanzler
Technical Writer
Brooktrout Technology Inc.
Southborough, MA
(508) 786-9182
kstanzler -at- brooksoft -dot- com <mailto:kstanzler -at- brooksoft -dot- com>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=