Re: The Alphabet vs the Goddess

Subject: Re: The Alphabet vs the Goddess
From: Jim Aikens <jaikens -at- ZOOMIT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 09:38:02 -0400

>What brought it home to me was his assertion that the books that
>have shaped our society -- works of history, philosophy, literature,
>and science -- are thick tomes, devoid of pictures. I'm not sure how
>Shakespeare fits in, and the works of Euclid and Newton did use
>pictures, but the point is largely true.

Shakespeare didn't write books (except for a few long poems), he wrote
scripts for real-time multimedia presentations. And as for "thick tomes
devoid of pictures", maybe we have Gutenberg to blame for that, not the art
of writing. The few illustrated manuscripts I have looked at were full of
illustrations. Medieval iconography also suggests that images were very
important communication tools, especially since few could read.

La plus ca change, . . ..

jim aikens

In fact, even up to 25
>years ago, most technical writing was heavy on prose and light on
>pictures. Technical illustration was a specialty, not something that
>writers tossed in effortlessly as they went along.
>
>Shlain talks about how images like the mushroom cloud and the view
>of Earth from space have affected people in our time as profoundly
>as any book. Television, the laser printer, the Web -- who knows how
>these things are changing us?
>
>I've seen a huge increase in the amount and role of visual content
>since I've been reading and writing technical documents. Is this
>just because our tools are better, or is our audience changing as
>well? ...RM
>

>Richard Mateosian <srm -at- cyberpass -dot- net> www.cyberpass.net/~srm/
>Review Editor, IEEE Micro Berkeley, CA
>
>(c) Copyright 1998. All rights reserved.
>
>From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000==

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=