Tool knowledge versus Task knowledge

Subject: Tool knowledge versus Task knowledge
From: Michael Andrew Uhl <mikeuhl -at- MINDSPRING -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 20:13:28 -0700

Esteemed Colleagues:

In my job, knowing how to use the tools is what earns me my salary. Yes, they
want me for my writing skills, that's a given. But what my programmer and
science colleagues find me most useful for on a daily basis--and what they're
willing to pay me a decent salary for--is the ability to solve minor
communication problems very quickly. For example, just today, someone sent me a
FrameMaker file with a long two-column table and they needed it in WordPerfect
format, but with the same layout. I needed about five minutes to figure out
that

FrameMaker ==> RTF ==> MS Word ==> WordPerfect

gave the cleanest translation path for that particular document. She was happy
to get it so quickly, but she also told me that she's come to *expect* this
kind of thing from me.

Here's another example. A colleague gave me a WordPerfect file and needed it in
HTML, fast. Some of you would likely guest that you can probably just do a Save
As to HTML. You'd be right with that guess. Voila, you have HTML. However, he
didn't want to know that, he just wanted results. I knew that and gave him what
he wanted.

They want me to edit their scientific papers and reports and write monthly
reports for EPA that EPA finds acceptable. But more importantly, my group wants
me to be there to solve any communication *or* technical problem related to
communication that they might have. This, by the way, means having a good
working knowledge of printers, personal computers, paper, toner, presentation
tools, scanners, and so on.

In fact, for my job, theories of communication--the kind we read about in STC's
quarterly journal--seem less and less relevant to me. Before I get toasted over
this, let me say, this is just for *my* current job. YMMV.

-Mike
--
Michael Andrew Uhl (mailto:mikeuhl -at- mindspring -dot- com)
Durham, North Carolina USA

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=