Re: Tool knowledge versus Task knowledge

Subject: Re: Tool knowledge versus Task knowledge
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 09:17:06 +0100

On the whole I agree with Eric's comments - a little background knowledge
goes a long way! Task knowledge is definitley more important than tool
knowledge (just need to convince those hiring of that!). Perhaps I'm one
of the lucky ones but when I started writing there was NO tool knowledge
unless you count being able to use a pencil and paper! Not having to worry
about anything except the content really helped the mind to focus on what
you wanted to say and someone else had to worry about how to produce the
lists, tables etc in print.

While tools aren't the be all and end all I do feel that the current
biggies should be taught (at least the basics) in conjunction with how to
write etc. Partly for commercial reasons (companies DO want people who can
use Word FM etc) but mainly as background. As a general rule (I know there
are exceptions!) once you've learned one WP/DTP/Drawing package etc, that
is, you have the basics, it is usually fairly easy to pick up and use
another. You won't be fully proficient in its use but should certainly be
able to use it and learn quickly as you go.

Re Eric's other point about technical basics - difference between bmp,
vector drawing etc I wholeheartedly agree. Unfortunately I've found that
this is seldom taught - assumed it's already known? I am forever
collecting snippets of information (e.g. from this list) that I don't
currently need but that seems worthy of filing away for future reference.
For example I have assorted posts on XML, HTML etc filed away. My
KNOWLEDGE of these is minimal at best as I've never, as yet, had need to
use them but the time will come and I feel what I've collected is a good
starting point. Sometimes the information is very specific and other times
it is simply refs to web pages/books on the topic etc which will be useful
in the future (no doubt some of what I've collected will never get used!).

Enough - time for some work, just about awake now :-)

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=