Re: Page breaks in HTML

Subject: Re: Page breaks in HTML
From: "Wing, Michael J" <mjwing -at- INGR -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 1998 09:29:38 -0500

This may not be the best solution for the TOC ; however, page control is
possible for HTML. You can create a custom CSS tag for controlling page
breaks and apply it to the element at the desired page break. You can force
the page break before or after that element.
<Style>
.pageA { page-break-after: auto | always | left | right}
.pageB{ page-break-before: auto | always | left | right}
</Style>

From the MicroSoft SDK:
auto
Do a page break before the element only if necessary.
always
Always do a page break before the element.
left
Do one or two page breaks before the element until a blank left page
is reached.
right
Do one or two page breaks before the element until a blank right
page is reached.

Implementing the style to create a forced page break:
<P> Paragraph 1.</P>
<P class="pageB">Paragraph 2. Page break occurs before this paragraph.</P>

This style may only work in IE 4.0 or higher. I've not tried it in
NetScape. But after just completing a cross-browser web application, I
don't have much hope. Netscape has an extremely limited object model and
implementation of dynamic styles.

Mike

Michael Wing (mailto:mjwing -at- ingr -dot- com)
Staff Writer
Intergraph Corporation; Huntsville, Alabama
http://www.intergraph.com/software/geomedia/default.asp

> One safe way to assure your formatting (fonts, page breaks, etc.) remains
> intact is to convert your document to PDF using Acrobat. If you're going
> do a lot of conversion of documents for Web usage, Acrobat is the logical
> choice. I understand Frame 5.5 comes with Acrobat.
>
> Cordially,
>
> Mary McWilliams Johnson
>
> At 02:19 PM 9/28/98 -0400, Gerrior, Suzanne wrote:
> >I'm hoping that someone can help me solve this problem quickly.
> >
> >I converted my user guide (done with FrameMaker) into HTML using
> >Webworks. When I opened the document in Internet Explorer the TOC looks

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=