Solution: Cropping a Screen Shot

Subject: Solution: Cropping a Screen Shot
From: Melissa Conniff <mconniff -at- CSC -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 16:36:51 -0500

Gang,

I found a solution to a problem I had, so I thought I'd share it with everyone.

Problem: Needed to pull out certain items from a screen shot while maintaining
the resolution quality i.e. crop it!

Solution: See procedure below.

1. Open Microsoft Photo Editor
Start > Programs > Office 97 > Microsoft Photo Editor

2. Start a new page. It will ask you for the following [my settings are in
brackets]:
Image type: [Gray Scale (8 bit)]
Resolution: [600] dpi
Width: [2] inches (the width and height are not for the graphics, it's for the
workspace dimensions)
Height: [2] inches
Unit: [Inches]

3. Paste in the screen shot you want to crop.

4. Select the cropping tool button. It's on the tool bar?a black square with
white marks in the lines.

5. Draw a box around the area you want to SAVE.

6. Select Image > Crop. Choose the options you want. I just hit <OK>

7. Save your new graphic. It will be saved as a .gif file.

8. Open Visio or other graphics program

9. Paste your new .gif image in it.

10. Add whatever text, callouts, etc. you want.

11. Save as a .wmf file (or whatever other format you want)

11. Import into Frame. eh, viola!!! You have a new cropped screen shot with the
same screen quality as the original!!

---Melissa

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000