Powerpoint vs. Harvard Graphics

Subject: Powerpoint vs. Harvard Graphics
From: "Geoff Hart (by way of \"Eric J. Ray\" <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>)" <ght -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 10:39:06 -0600

Roxanne Kent-Drury reported that <<In the past, we've used Powerpoint
to get students started with creating presentation materials.
Recently, a colleague was told by a local headhunter that the
students should also be learning and have access to Harvard Business
Graphics, and that teaching them to use Powerpoint was behind the
times.>>

In most cases, I'd smile politely and ask the headhunter which drugs
he was on and where I could get some; any reality in which Microsoft
isn't the 2000-lb gorilla that owns the market would be a pleasant
place to live for a time (and since it's not part of the consensual
reality we mostly share, I'd assume drugs are necessary to get
there). Nonetheless, I'd be hesitant to dismiss the claim out of hand
because I'm sure that there are small niches (e.g., at universities)
in which Harvard Graphics _is_ dominant, and successful headhunters
will certainly know what software their clients use and prefer. As a
blanket statement, the headhunter is outright wrong; as a specific
statement of research-based opinion for some niche, the headhunter
may well be right.
--Geoff Hart @8^{)}
geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca

When an idea is wanting, a word can always be found to take its place.--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=