Re: kHz or KHz

Subject: Re: kHz or KHz
From: Matt Ion <soundy -at- SOUNDY -dot- ML -dot- ORG>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 21:35:23 -0800

On Tue, 29 Sep 1998 13:39:32 -0400, Smith, Don wrote:

>How about MHz? I think it also should be mHz, but I am overruled on this one
>by just about the whole world.

kHz invites confusion because 'K' is not used (that I'm aware of) for
measurements, although 'k' IS the proper symbol for kilo, or 1000 units.

However, 'm' and 'M' are DEFINITELY NOT interchageable when it comes to
measurements. 'M' stands for Mega, or one million units (okay, okay, binary
counting aside); 'm' is for milli, or 1/1000th units (such as mm for
millimeter or ms for millisecond).

You can use mHz if you want, just remember that 1MHz = 1,000,000,000mHz!

"You should see my new PC! It's a Pentium II 266,000,000,000 mHz!"

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

"So now that the company is losing money pushing NT, I'm sure the
boneheads on Wall Street think it's a stupendous investment. I am
really beginning to feel like I stepped through the looking glass and
landed into Wonderland. Black is White, Rich is Poor, Startup to
Shutdown and NT is Best. Very weird."
- Mark Dodel

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=