Re: Techwriter and designer?

Subject: Re: Techwriter and designer?
From: Peter Rothe <Peter -at- INSCRIBER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 10:08:41 -0400

Hello Pierre,

My career path is also moving towards doing more GUI work. I have a
Fine Arts/English background. In my previous position, I started off
creating icons for custom QNX apps (hello Bob). In my current position, I
started creating icons and icons sets but also had the opportunity to learn
and use some proprietary controls. I was soon assigned the task of
developing the interface for our paint program. I'm now doing GUI work on a
wide variety of projects which includes our flagship product.

In my experience, the documentation team needs to add skills to the
development process. Since I have been at Inscriber, the documentation team
has always had a good relationship with the development team. I just started
building on this relationship. I found that some developers are not as
interested in the often menial tasks of editing and maintaining resource
files (.rc and .res files in the Windows world). Once I took on this
responsibility for one project, developers saw me as a resource they could
use. Pulling a few late nights to update the entire GUI before a major trade
show doesn't hurt either.

Hope this helps. BTW, anyone going to User Interface 98 in Boston
next week? Drop me a line if you are.
Pete

Peter Rothe (peter -at- inscriber -dot- com)
Technical Writer
Inscriber Technology Corporation (www.inscriber.com)

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=