Re: kHz or KHz?

Subject: Re: kHz or KHz?
From: Steve Gotler <sngotler -at- GOTLER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 09:12:26 -0400

>Which is "more" correct: kHz or KHz? My preference is kHz. The MS Style
>Guide (copyright 1995, not the latest 3rd edition) contradicts itself.
Sun's
>Read Me First! says kHz in its list of abbreviations (why is that such a
>long word? <g>).

You see both, but "kHz" is correct, not "KHz".

In general, metric units are never capitalized unless they are derived from
proper names.

"K" stands for Kelvin (http://www.kanten.com/styleguide/faq/faq64.html).
"k" is the metric and SI prefix for 1000x.

"Hz" starts with an upper case because the unit of measure is named after
Heinrich Hertz, a German physicist.
(http://www.encyclopedia.com/articles/05870.html).

Here's a useful site for SI units:
http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/index.html