Re: getting that first job

Subject: Re: getting that first job
From: Heather Ross <Heather -dot- Louise -dot- Ross -at- THEMUTUALGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 09:18:46 -0500

---------------------- Forwarded by Heather Louise Ross/TMG on 23/09/98
09:18 AM ---------------------------

William Swallow <wswallow -at- commsoft -dot- net> on 23/09/98 08:14:49 AM

Please respond to "wswallow -at- commsoft -dot- net" <wswallow -at- commsoft -dot- net>

To: Heather Louise Ross/TMG

cc:

Please copy my response to the list - I'm away from my
list-friendly e-mail account...

I got my first job by responding to an ad for "SENIOR
TECHNICAL WRITER". The qualifications were 5+ years
experience, blah blah blah.

No, I didn't get THAT job, but I was given an entry level
job as a Help Author Assistant. I made it to Team Leader
for Help Development in 5 months, then made corporate guru
status in 3 months after that, and well, the rest is
history (because I decided to start over as a tech writer -
go figure).

How'd I get the tech writer job? Well, I STILL had no
experience writing... but I replied to a job op on THIS
LISTSERV and was welcomed with open arms. Go figure...

What it boils down to is a good blend of initiative and
luck. Hit every resource you can and don't let up. Oh,
and never downtalk yourself, but don't lie about your
qualifications either.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=