Books/Guidelines on Writing Functional Requirements?

Subject: Books/Guidelines on Writing Functional Requirements?
From: Kathy Borgtodd <kborgtod -at- SCTCORP -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 09:22:32 -0400

Greetings, all!

My job duties have lately changed from those of a tech writer to
those of a function point analyst--someone who estimates the
"size" of upcoming software projects in order to better predict
how long they'll take and how productive the projects' teams are.

In this new capacity, I am required to read (sometimes over and
over) functional specifications for our products. The styles of
our functional specs vary wildly from product to product. Can
anyone on this list point me the way to a good text, primer, or
workshop on how to write effective and consistent functional
requirements for business applications? I HAVE ordered the IEEE
standard, which I hope will give me some guidance, but I am
hoping some of you out there can point me in the right direction.

Thanks very much!

Kathy Borg-Todd
SCT Utility Systems
9 Science Court