WAS: lying applicants NOW: TW Competencies

Subject: WAS: lying applicants NOW: TW Competencies
From: Heather Ross <Heather -dot- Louise -dot- Ross -at- THEMUTUALGROUP -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 13:45:09 -0500

snip
<It would be helpful to see a list of GOOD questions to ask....then we
might have a productive discussion.

Jane Bergen>

That's a great idea, Jane.

I'd like to branch into a related topic here. I work for a company with
thousands of employees. It employs about 20 tech writers, most of whom are
scattered around in different departments working on their own.

When it comes to hiring a tech writer, managers have no guidelines to
follow. My manager had never supervised a tech writer before, and wasn't
fully aware of what he should be looking for. There was no help available
for him here.

I've met with the other TWs here and we'd like to develop a list of
competencies and expectations for ourselves. At this point, our managers
don't know what to be looking for when it comes to performance evaluations,
raises and promotions. A list of good interview questions would be really
valuable; we were also wondering if anyone uses writing tests in
interviews, and if so could you please send a sample?

Does anyone out there have a defined role or a definition of what
competencies they should have? We'd appreciate your input.

Please respond to me privately and I'll post a summary to the list. Thanks!

Heather Ross
Heather -dot- Louise -dot- Ross -at- TheMutualGroup -dot- com
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=