Re: Degrees of employment

Subject: Re: Degrees of employment
From: Damien Braniff <Damien_Braniff -at- PAC -dot- CO -dot- UK>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 09:15:26 +0100

To me, a degree is no real indication as to whether or not you can do a
particular job. I've been a writer for over 15 years now and other writers
I've known over the years have been a mix of those with degrees and those
without degrees. Possibly more so in the UK as, until recently, there was
no degree courses in TW. Most older writers were engineers, programmers
etc who moved over to writing. Even now the majority of writers with
degrees have degrees which have no real relation to writing other than
providing expertise in the area that they are documenting. As to which
degree is beneficial ..... We've been there before and I won't go over it
again. I know that in the UK a lot of employers see degrees not as an
indication that you are qualified but that you can study, apply yourself to
a task etc. An interview then determines whether or not they feel you are
suitable for the job.

Damien Braniff
Technical Author
PAC International