Re: Matt's Dilemma - was Re: I got the bluuuuueeess

Subject: Re: Matt's Dilemma - was Re: I got the bluuuuueeess
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 1998 23:46:46 EDT

In a message dated 9/20/98 3:55:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
pencil -at- WAVENET -dot- CO -dot- UK writes:

<< However I guess that if, like you, he's spending his time re-writing stuff
which could be pretty much automated (as I infer from your post) he's
justified in feeling a little worried. >>

When I was a coin dealer, I was lucky enough to have a high adventure version
of the job - lots of travel (in Europe), expense accounts, etc. But I quickly
became aware that the average coin dealer spent most of their time counting
'bullion' coins (sold by metal value, rather than numismatic value) and
watching the price of gold. Every once in a while they'd buy or sell a true
numismatic coin, thus touching base with the love (or greed) that had first
gotten them into the profession.

Before that, I was a radio producer/announcer, and had the good fortune to
work on one-off unusual projects. But I opted out of that world when I
realized that the 'bread and butter' work (in music at least) meant spending
years going "That was the latest hit by -----; and now a message from -----".
The idea of turning 40 with years of that behind me chilled my blood.

My point being that every profession, even some that look more interesting
from the outside, has its dull, repetitive side and that most people in most
professions get locked into that side. It's up to each of us to find the
newness and adventure in whatever we do.

Yes, I'll admit to having had moments of boredom in technical writing,
especially doing formula procedures and instructions. But I've also found
similar interest to what I found in other work, and for similar reasons: I
learn new things, I look for ways to add value to the 'usual' tasks and I get
to know the inidividuals I interface with and identify their deeper
(professional) needs. Certainly, in my case, it also helps that I'm an actor
and am continually aware that each extra billable hour is another hour of
freedom stored for less lucrative but more personal pursuits. But that's the
particular mix I've developed for myself.

One of my last clients, not particularly arty, put a lot of his creativity
into rethinking the whole document process and setting up master sets of
documents which simplified his organization's access. When he really got
bored, he left.

Sometimes there's no more to do, and then, yes, you have to leave - be it
technical writing or radio. But it's really a combination of things that
makes that happen, and rarely one profession that in and of itself is boring.
The grass may be greener across the way, but only for that season. You have
to weather them all before deciding to stay or move.

Jim Chevallier
North Hollywood

Now UPDATED - http://www.gis.net/~jimcheval

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=