Re: Indexing Help

Subject: Re: Indexing Help
From: JGREY <JGREY -at- MADE2MANAGE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 08:09:07 -0500

David Castro writ:
>I tend to use the verb when it is highly likely that the end-users
>will look up that word. For example "Printing a report" would be
>indexed under both "Report" and "Printing." But, "Adding a field
>to a report" would only be indexed under "Field" and "Report." I
>refer to it as "indexing _strong_ verbs."

Whether to index verbs depends strongly upon your audience. If your
audience includes many novices, indexing verbs can be a real help. If
novices aren't a big part of your audience, verbs are far less useful.

The product my company makes has a large number of novices in the
audience. So we index the heck out of verbs -- we even index verb
synonyms. So there's adding, creating, defining, and setting up.
There's also changing, modifying, altering, editing, and revising.

This seems to work well for our users.

Peace,
jim

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=