Re: Don't Get Mad at me for this

Subject: Re: Don't Get Mad at me for this
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <leonard -dot- porrello -at- COMPAQ -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 16:25:50 -0700

Robert,

I read the subject line, and if I am not interested, I delete. It takes me
about two seconds. And although you are most likely right regarding the
purpose of this list, as I see it, my two seconds of suffering might save a
fellow professional hours of misery. I don't mind two seconds of torment.

Furthermore, if one frames a utilitarian argument based on the idea of
cumulative list suffering (2 seconds * 4000 users), 2 hours and 22 minutes
of cumulative suffering is still probably less than the suffering of the
poor SOB who is so desperate for a technical solution that he sends a
message to this list. So, to maximize utility by minimizing suffering,
technical posts should be permitted. Of course, if we take a deontological
line, there are no two ways about it; you are right: no technically related
postings allowed. This bottom line boils down to this question (Ouch! Please
forgive the nasty mixed metaphore!): what type of ethical system does the
list embrace?

Leonard Porrello
Compaq, Telecom Network Solutions
Pubs, Omaha