U.S. vs Global Punctuation

Subject: U.S. vs Global Punctuation
From: "Bayne, Sonia E." <BAYNESO -at- AMSWORLD -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 11:24:15 -0400

Doug Parr spake thusly:
"Can someone please tell me what is U.S. punctuation and what is
global punctuation?"

Doug, 'fraid that won't be me. Some might say the US does things
differently from everyone else. Not that there's anything inherently
wrong with that ;-) Nor should one assume that "global" and "British"
are the same thing...

I'm in a semipermanent state of confusion about these micro issues. I
grew up in England, and it was in England that my education taught me
the power of well-used words. I've lived in the US for many years now,
been a tech writer for 15 of them. I've got a grip on transatlantic
spelling, but the subleties of grammatical differences send me regularly
to my reference books!

Still, at least these micro issues take up brain bandwidth that might
otherwise have to deal with macro issues. In times like these, that's
definitely a Good Thing.

My 2 penn'orth
Sonia Bayne
mailto:bayneso -at- amsworld -dot- com

"One of the advantages of being disorderly is that one is constantly
making exciting discoveries." -- AA Milne

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=