Re: The Digital Alpha Chip (Re: What is DEC Alpha?)

Subject: Re: The Digital Alpha Chip (Re: What is DEC Alpha?)
From: "Marie C. Paretti" <mparetti -at- RRINC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 1998 18:42:20 -0400

At 06:04 PM 9/10/98 EDT, Jim wrote:
>Well, it COULD be referring to Digital's Alpha chip, more powerful I'm told
>than the Pentium but also somewhat under-known. Apparently it's changed
>hands, too.

I believe Jim is more or less right -- DEC is Digital Equiment Corporation,
the folks who brought you the VAX, and the Alpha is another DEC platform.
I think actually the Alpha replaced the VAX, but the details are fuzzy in
my memory. Check out the Digital website at http://www.digital.com and
search around - at this time of the evening I'm not sure how reliable my
facts are beyond the fact that it's a Digital platform.

Marie

Marie C. Paretti, PhD
Recognition Research, Inc. (RRI)
1750 Kraft Drive, Suite 2000