Re: Acronyms and Front Matter Question

Subject: Re: Acronyms and Front Matter Question
From: "Porrello, Leonard" <leonard -dot- porrello -at- COMPAQ -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:50:21 -0700

Just to make sure that the record stands clear, a "glossary" is a listing of
specialized terms and definitions that are necessary for understanding a
document. And while a glossary may include acronyms (no? please correct me
if I am mistaken), a list of acronyms is not a glossary. The reason is, I
think, that the detailing of an acronym does not necessarily give a reader
any indication of what it means. For example, in my list of acronyms I have
the following: "GLR - Gateway Location Register" (and yes, it is a proper
noun). This does not tell the reader what is a GLR or Gateway Location
Register. In the Glossary I would put the following: "GLR - handles roaming
functionality for the HLR" (though I might not use acronyms and I might find
a way to avoid "functionality" since so many find it repugnant).

Leonard Porrello
Compaq, Telecom Network Solutions
Pubs, Omaha
402.384.7390