Summary - Flowcharting SW

Subject: Summary - Flowcharting SW
From: "Hutchings, Christa" <cwhutchings -at- HOMEWIRELESS -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 12:39:19 -0400

Last week, I asked about flowcharting software. Here's a summary of the

Visio - 13 votes
ABC Flowcharter (by Micrografx) - 4 votes
SPSS AllClear - 2 votes
Inspiration - 1 vote
CorelDraw - 1 vote
OrgChart - 1 vote
Smart Draw - 1 vote

I wanted to try demo copies of Visio, ABC Flowcharter, and SPSS
AllClear, but was unable to get to either the Visio or Micrografx web
sites. I got to SPSS with no problem and downloaded a demo of AllClear.
It has a few little quirks but otherwise seems to be working fine for my
purposes. I have created a multi-page 11 x 17 flowchart with the demo
and am reasonably satisfied with the results. (I have not tried
importing the chart into FM as we will not be including flowcharts in
our product docs after all - the flowcharts will only be used internally
to illustrate complex SW processes to co-workers.)

AllClear sells for about $395, though, as opposed to Visio Standard's
price of only $139.95. I don't know about Flowcharter - I still can't
get a price from the Micrografx web site.

Thanks to all for your responses!

Chris Welch-Hutchings
Senior Technical Writer
Home Wireless Networks, Inc.
mailto:cwhutchings -at- homewireless -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=