Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 6 Sep 1998 to 7 Sep 1998

Subject: Re: TECHWR-L Digest - 6 Sep 1998 to 7 Sep 1998
From: Cam Whetstone <camw -at- HOME -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 08:34:43 -0400

Cecilia St. John wrote: Q: How does one respond to an intimidator
without using the same tactics?

Many years ago as a new writer in a group, I noticed that our group
leader was in the habit of practically screaming at one of the writers
when he was displeased. I thought it poor form, but didn't really do
anything. Then one day the leader started to yell at me over
something. I simply stood up to him verbally and said that I had acted
on his directions, and if it was not correct, tell me what he wanted and
I would be happy to do it differently. I did not back own but I also
did not chal;lenge his legitimate authority. He never tried to dress me
down in public again. My friend, however, who was shy and retiring
sufferend for years. Best way is toi not back down, but don't challenge
him/her to a point you have to leave. You may find the bullying stops.

Cam Whetstone
cam -at- camw -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=