sorting negative numbers in a list

Subject: sorting negative numbers in a list
From: dacoyle <dacoyle -at- CSI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 13:55:47 -0400

I'm writing a troubleshooting guide for a client/server application with
many components. The TSG is in HTML for the corporate intranet.

One of my main pages is a list of error messages by error number.
Unfortunately, some of the components use negative numbers to identify
error messages, about a third of the total so far.

Normally, I'd sort negative numbers starting with the largest and work
my way towards zero. But for this type of list, I'm not sure that's the
most usable way. I'm tempted to sort the numbers and ignore the fact
some are negative.

The primary audience is the corporate help desk, but everyone will have
access so I need to figure out which sorting method will be the most
user-friendly. Any thoughts appreciated.

Dennis Coyle
Arlington, VA

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=