Windows and UNIX help

Subject: Windows and UNIX help
From: Sheila Marshall <sheila -at- STK -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 10:35:05 -0500

Andre:

We develop on-line help for both Windows and UNIX platforms. Currently, we
use WinHelp on Windows and straight HTML on UNIX. For the near future,
we're seriously looking to have one source help files in HTML. To this end,
we've been looking at products from different developers and seem to be
leaning toward RoboHelp's WebHelp (Crossplatform Help) using RoboHTML.
There are some things I just don't get with how it works and it drives me
batty that it's based on MS HTML Help and defaults to an IE browser (I'd
rather Netscape) but it seems to be a solid solution.

Some things about RoboHTML that are nice/annoying
* Users must have Netscape or IE 4.0 or later to view. But since both
browsers are free now, we think it's worth it to get a much nicer look.

* Creates a TOC and Index for you--which is a VERY nice feature.

* HTML files can take up a lot of space on a PC hard drive due to FAT
allocations. I don't know how this is going to affect us yet.

We do plan to tweak the initial frame but otherwise I'd like as little
individual tweaking as possible (we have 10 help systems, some of them
large, all due at the same time, only 2 TWs).

Feel free to e-mail with any questions.

Sheila

<BeginSnip>
Does anyone have any experience developing html-based online help that
will run in Windows Internet Explorer, Netscape, and on UNIX? Any info
would help
<EndSnip>

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=