Re: Egos, GUI's, and Tempers

Subject: Re: Egos, GUI's, and Tempers
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Sep 1998 16:19:43 -0400

Sella,
I apologize - I received three responses that said their apps opened with a
blank screen, one was US Army and the other address ended in "usda.gov" which
I'm assuming is government.

I really like the idea you had of the splash screen on opening. Another person
responded that their users have the option to "turn off" their welcoming
screen, once they know what they're doing. These are both really good
suggestions.

I guess I was looking for a windows type of behaviour in the application, which
you refer to in your suggestion for Open and New commands on the File menu.

I agree with you about the generalizations and stereotypes - I suppose to some
extent I'm guilty of this as well. After reading your message, I found myself
mentally examining assumptions/generalizations that I might have made. I guess
I generalized in my statement about two government apps that open with blank
screens, which would lead to the assumption that only government apps would
behave this way. Hopefully I'll be more aware in the future.

The responses I got were absolutely amazing. They ran the full range from:
*Get your boss involved
*Don't involve the bosses
*Examine my motives - who am I really angry with and why?
*Your reactions were valid
*Document the apps exactly the way it is - let others see the deficiencies
*Concentrate on problem solving & interpersonal relationships
*Go and apologize to the developer
etc.
Apologies have been made. First he apologized and I said I was sorry too, and
hopefully everything will work out.

Thanks again for all the responses. Even negative comments are constructive;
they make me stop and re-examine my role in the situation - always a good idea.

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=