Re: Warning re: importing by reference

Subject: Re: Warning re: importing by reference
From: Barbara Karst-Sabin <barbara -at- QUOTE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 1998 13:08:24 -0700

I agree, absolutely. I know most production-types swear by the
"reference" method, but after you've had to spend about 16 hours on a
very tight deadline trying to recreate "screen shots" for a now obsolete
version of Windows from bits and pieces of other vintage graphics,
you'll think twice about the so-called efficiency of the reference
method.

(in case you were wondering why we'd be printing a manual based on an
obsolete version of Windows, it was a localization "patch" until we
could get the next rev completed for translation)

BJ

Elizabeth Kane wrote:

> Suzette,
The trouble with importing by ref is that any time
> you copy or move those chapters to another location, you have to make
> sure to also copy every one of the graphic files that are imported by
> ref. You might also have to redefine the path to them. It's a pain!
> What if you lose one of them, or they all get deleted by mistake? The
> only way to make the file usable again is to recreate the captures.

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=