Book size: how much is too much?

Subject: Book size: how much is too much?
From: Luigi Benetton <Luigi_Benetton -at- MARKHAM -dot- LONGVIEW -dot- CA>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 13:51:29 -0400

Geoff Hart asked for some more information, so here we go... (I figured my
original message was already long-winded...)

This Reference Guide is for people who develop applications using a
proprietary computer "language". The bulk of its contents are two sections
that list all the Commands (300 pages) and Functions (400 pages) available
to developers. Examples that help to clarify each explanation typically
take up lots of room, but developers say that the examples are what make
the guide useful.

We thought of splitting up the guide according to the type of code document
in which you'd use each command or function, but that would cause quite a
bit of duplication and result in eleven large books instead of one "mongo"
book (I like your choice of words, Geoff!), and thus, more paper and
weight. Also, the developers in question travel to client sites to work on
implementation projects, and we don't expect them to haul along an extra
piece of luggage just for the documentation. We've published everything we
have in PDF and on-line help, but some people just prefer paper.

Take your best second whack, folks.

Luigi Benetton

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000=